Paid for online services in France reached a revenue level of €2 bn in 2011. The interesting bit is what services are strongest in monetising the online opportunities. A study by Benchmark reveals that gaming comes out on top way ahead of other enterainment. Press and books hardly get 10%, with good growth potential.
For those who read French, there is a lot of good information not only on revenues, but also on who buys what, what the average spending type of service is and what marketing mechanism incited the clients to buy.
For clarity, this is not about e-commerce but about services that can be bought online.
The revenue top ranking is:
- Online games, €810 million, moderate growth, paid on action
- Video on demand, €230 million, strong growth, paid on action
- Gambling, €177 million, moderate growth, prepaid reserve
- Music, €110 million, strong growth, paid on action – streaming music is strongest growth category
- Dating, €107 million, moderate growth, subscription
- Press, €13 million, moderate growth, subscription
- E-books, €12 million, strong growth, paid on action
Services en ligne payants : les segments qui marchent